Saturday 21 June 2014

Vikram Vethal, 22. The Heir

The Heir
The night was dark and gloomy. The blinding lightning revealed ghoulish faces. But King Vikram would not be distracted. He went straight to the tree, brought the corpse down, slung it across his shoulder and began walking back.
The Vetal that possessed the corpse said. “I admire your valour. Don’t you ever tire? I am afraid too much wealth has made you insane. Let me narrate the story of Virender of Virpur to establish my point. Listen carefully, it may give you some relief.”
“Virender was a rich and prosperous merchant in Virpur. He was also a kind-hearted man and helped all those in need. However, he had no children. He was on the lookout for someone with immense faith in God who would be his heir”.
“One day, when Virender was on his way to the temple, he saw a young beggar boy who looked bright and cheerful. Virender was impressed by him, and gave him a few coins. The next day he saw the same boy at the temple again. But this time he did not see him begging ; instead he was stringing garlands of flowers and selling them”. When he saw Virender, he folded his hands respectfully and said, “Sir, usually I get alms enough to fetch me food. But yesterday, you were generous. I used the money for buying flowers. Some day, I hope to repay the money you gave me!”
Virender was very happy to hear this. Next day, at the temple, Virender saw a young handsome lad meditating. Over the week, he noticed that the young lad came to the temple daily and sat in meditation for hours together. One day, his curiosity got the better of him. He went up to the boy and asked him, “What is your name? What do you do?”
The boy replied that he was an orphan named Satya. He claimed that he was an ardent devotee and that he even forgot about his physical needs when he was in deep prayer! Virender was highly impressed by Satya’s reply.
He rushed home and told his wife that he had found the right person to be made heir. However, they decided to wait for a few more days and observe him before disclosing their desire.
Virender’s men noticed that Satya wept frequently though Virender tried his best to keep the boy happy. When questioned, Satya replied, “The time has come for me to tell you the truth. I used to be a thief. One day, I entered your house and happened to hear you tell your wife about the kind of boy you were looking for adoption. When I heard that, I thought this was a great opportunity. I sneaked out without stealing anything. Next day, knowing well that you will not fail to notice me, I went to the temple and pretended to meditate just to attract your attention. But as days went by, I truly became a devotee of God. I weep whenever I think of my past deeds and hypocrisy!”
Virender stood amazed. Satya prepared to leave, but to his astonishment, Virender stopped him and said, “There’s no need for you to leave the place. You’re my heir.” He then took Satya home.
The Vetala paused and challenged King Vikram.
“Don’t you think Virender was insane? Why else would he make a thief his heir, when he had better candidates before him: his relative, the boy whose education he had funded, and the beggar boy whom he had helped to set up a business? If you know the answer and still keep quiet, your head will blow up into a thousand pieces.”
King Vikram replied without any hesitation. “Virender was not foolish. He had immense faith in God. He was convinced that Satya had become a true devotee. Meditation had changed Satya’s character, although he had started doing it without any intention of changing himself. He had shown himself to be responsible and conscientious. These qualities would ensure that he would put Virender’s wealth to good use. Virender had helped his nephew with money. He knew that the boy was brilliant and could survive without his money. And he felt that the beggar boy was also smart and would grow well because he had enterprise. So he was quite right in choosing Satya as his heir.”
No sooner had King Vikram finished his reply than the Vetal, along with the corpse, gave him the slip and went back to the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment